Find your thing

I have always loved running. In terms of hobbies, it’s right up there next to singing and my work as a speech-language pathologist. As a child, I was faster than all the boys. And as a competitive tomboy, this made me smile. As we grew older, I might not have been as fast as them, but I could still hold my own. Running always seemed to give me what I gave it. If I worked hard, running would reward me. Maybe not always in PRs, wins, or medals, but in ways that built life lessons and lifelong friendships.

I have come to crave the way running makes me feel. It’s amazing how the “hurt” a person can feel during a hard speed workout can be the best you feel all day. I push myself out of bed each morning when that 4:45 a.m. alarm clock goes off to make myself better. To push that little girl that still lives inside of me past the places she never thought she could go.

I am often presented with the question of why I run. I run for exercise, sure. I run to be more fit. To look good in my clothing. I guess all of those are true. But, one of the main reasons I run is because I’m competitive. Always have been. I want to beat me. Beat my last time. I NEED to push myself and be better than the day before. Push myself past that feeling of “you’re too tired” or “I hurt”. 

Running has also blessed me immensely. One of the most special things that running has given me are friendships. Lifelong friendships made on high school track teams and with girls from other towns. Lifelong friendships from my division 1 college track team that expanded my understanding of diversity and helped me to learn to live as a little fish in a big pond. Lifelong friendships, now, as an adult formed through grueling marathon training and coaching. Some of my best friendships have been formed and are still formed through this crazy thing we do called running. 










Another question I hear a lot...What motivates me, inspires and keeps me running? My friends. My family. My health. My inner passion to be better. It all plays a part. It all gets me out of bed on those dark, cold mornings to lace up the shoes and get my run in. What motivates me is easy. It’s what inspires me that pulls at my heart. It’s all the people the world told them they couldn’t, but still do. Those running/exercising during or after chemo treatments. My cousin who could no longer run after a life-threatening car accident, so she took up cycling. Single moms who work multiple jobs and still find time to remain healthy and active. Soldiers who train in the middle of the desert. And, many, many more. We ALL face obstacles in life, and I believe running can help us through even some of the darkest moments we face. The people that inspire me are the ones who use running to help make bad or inconvenient situations, a little more manageable. And therefore, life, a little bit more sunny.

When talking to a life-long friend about how running feels like home to me, she said, “Jenny, you have always loved running. Even when we were little. You looked happy running. It fit you.” 

Running may not be your thing. And that's okay. I hope you find your thing. The thing that makes you happy and fits you. It's there for you. Go find it.

Comments

Popular Posts